Every great cell phone game starts with an idea, but where do you go from there? Many games in the Apple and Google Play stores have made their transition from idea to popular game with the help of one of five programming languages.
Developing mobile games is a difficult task, but once you have the right tools at your disposal, it is much easier. Start by identifying the programming language that best suits your needs and experience.
1. The C # Programming Language
C # (pronounced “see sharp”) is an object-oriented programming language, released by Microsoft in 2002. It runs on .NET (Microsoft Virtual Execution System) and ranks among the leading programming languages in the world. C # owes its popularity to its proven track record of creating robust and durable applications.
Unity is a testament to this, as it is one of the most popular gaming machines in the world, built entirely with C #. 71% of all mobile games in distribution today use the Unity game machine, according to Unity Technologies. Unity allows you to create custom 3D games with C # scripts, so you can stand out from the crowd.
Some popular mobile games created with a unit include Pokémon GO, Cuphead, Call of Duty and Monument Valley.
- C # is a popular language that has a large community of game developers, which means that there are many resources available for beginners.
- It has extensive documentation.
- It belongs to the C family, so it is closely related to C, C ++, and Java. This reduces the learning curve for a programmer coming from one of these other popular languages.
- C # is an advanced object-oriented programming language.
- C # has a built-in garbage collector that frees up memory automatically.
- It is a type-safe programming language.
- C # is fast.
- C # is highly dependent on the .NET platform. Without .NET it is Windows-oriented and there is not much support for other operating systems.
2. The C ++ Programming Language
In 1985 Bjarne Stroustrup released the first official version of C ++. In 1998, the C ++ Standards Commission published the language’s first international standard. Today C ++ has gone a long way and is one of the best programming languages in the world, not only for game development but as a multipurpose language.
Unreal Engine is one of the best mobile gaming machines in the world. Built with C ++, Unreal Engine identifies itself as a “real-time 3D creative tool”. This engine allows you to develop 3D games and is one of Unity’s main competitors. Unreal Engine has created popular games such as Fortnite, Batman: Arkham City and Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.
- It is a multi-paradigm programming language.
- C ++ gives you complete control over the behavior of a program, such as its memory management.
- C ++ is fast.
- C ++ has a great ecosystem.
- It is an intermediate language with a mix of advanced and low-level features. It is, in a sense, an advanced assembly line because it provides direct access to a computer’s hardware (via the operating system).
- C ++ lacks features that other programming languages have, such as a built-in garbage collector.
- It has security issues such as pointers that can cause your program to crash or even be a gateway for hackers.
3. The Kotlin Programming Language
Kotlin is a modern programming language developed by JetBrains, a software developer. In 2016, JetBrains released the first version of Kotlin, programming language for the development of mobile applications. From the beginning, Google has pledged its support to Kotlin for Android development. This move has created a general association between Kotlin and Android ap development.
However, like any good mobile development language, Kotlin is a cross-platform language. Kotlin has a software development kit (SDK) for Android and iOS app development called Kotlin Multiplatform Mobile. This SDK provides cross-platform and native benefits. It allows you to share consistent logic (such as networking and storage) between Android and iOS when performing device-specific functions separately.
- Kotlin is a multi-paradigm language (object-oriented and functional).
- Compared to Java, Kotlin reduces your code by about 40%, according to Kotlin.
- Kotlin is fast.
- Kotlin has features such as smart casting, higher-order features, extension features, built-in zero security and lambda.
- Kotlin is popular with mobile app developers (specifically android app developers).
- Kotlin is a fairly new programming language, so it has a small community.
4. The Fast Programming Language
Swift is another modern programming language. Its development is a joint effort of Apple Inc. and several open source contributors. Apple released the first version of swift in 2014 for iOS, iPad, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS ap development. Today Swift supports all Apple platforms and Linux operating systems.
- Swift has an automatic memory manager.
- Swift has features such as custom string interpolation, JSON encoding and decoding, great features, and custom conversion with simplified closing.
- It is fast, thanks to its use of high-performance LLVM compilation technology.
- Swift is an advanced programming language.
- It is a multi-paradigm language.
- Swift only supports development for a mobile app for iOS.
- It is a new language with a small community compared to other more established languages used to develop mobile phone apps.
5. The Second Programming Language
Lua is one of the most popular choices for the development of mobile games. According to Lua, it is “currently the leading scripting language in games”. The other languages in this list use a compiler, which translates at a faster rate. Lua is the only interpreted programming language here, so it is suitable as a scripting language.
World of Warcraft and Angry Birds are two of the most popular games in the world today, and they were both developed with Lua. Solar2D (formerly known as Corona) and Defold are two popular game machines developed using Lua.
- Lua is a strong language, but it does not have a large community compared to the other two giants (C # and C ++) on this list.
How to Choose the Best Game Development Language
Proven performance is a quality that these five languages and their respective game machines have in common. While all of these languages are great for developing mobile games, they may not all be great for you.
For example, if you want to develop a mobile game for iOS users only, then Swift might be your best choice. If your game is for Android and iOS users, but it will be in 2D, then Lua and Kotlin are your main challengers. However, if your game is in 3D, C # and C ++ are your best choices.