Whether you’re sharing holiday photos or letting your little ones watch funny videos, the last thing you want is anyone who stumbles upon sensitive media files on your device. It’s important to protect your private photos and videos, so no unsuspecting eyes can accidentally reveal them. It’s pretty easy to hide your media files using a few simple tricks. Of course, each method depends on your photo app and whether you’re using an Android device or something from Apple. Here’s how to keep your private media protected on your phone or tablet.
How to hide photos on your Android phone
Google Photos is the default gallery application that comes with every Android phone. The app has a handy Locked Folder to hide photos and videos, and it’s simple to do. Here’s how.
- Open up Google Photos on your phone.
- Select the Library tab below.
- Knock on Utilities menu.
- Find the Configure Locked Folder suggestion for the following menu.
- Hit Get startedand you can use your phone’s authentication method (PIN, password or fingerprint) to access the Locked Folder.
Now that you’ve set up the Locked Folder, it’s time to add media files.
How to hide photos in the Locked Folder
There are two ways to add photos and videos to the Locked Folder. You can add them from the media library or with a single photo. For the first method:
- Launch Google Photos and go to Photos tab.
- Long tap on image and multi-choice media files you want to hide.
- Tap on the three-point menu at the top.
- Choose Move to Locked Folder and confirm your decision from the following popup menu.
That’s all there is to it. If you only add one photo or video, you can simply click on the media, scroll up to see more details, and select the Move to Locked Folder option to hide it.
How to hide photos in the Locked Directory for Pixel users
Users with Pixel 3 and later can save captured images directly to your Locked Folder from the default Camera app.
- Open the default camera application on your Pixel phone.
- Tap on the photo gallery icon at the top.
- Choose Locked Folder the la Save to menu.
From now on, any photo or video you take with your Pixel phone will go directly to the Locked Folder in Google Photos.
How to access hidden media in the Locked Folder
Now that they are locked, you may want to know where to find them. You can access your hidden media files in the Google Photo Utilities menu.
- Open the Utilities menu in Google Photos.
- Find out Locked Folder under the Organize your library menu.
- Open it, authenticate your identity with a fingerprint or PINand check your hidden files.
The implementation of Google’s Lock Folder does carry some notable disadvantages. Before you can block the Locked Folder with hundreds of media, you must remember them.
- Locked Folder is an offline plugin. Google won’t sync hidden files to your Google Photos library, and you can’t access them from the web or from another phone.
- Because hidden photos are saved only on the device, you do not receive them Options for editing or sharing Google Photos.
- If you uninstall Google Photos or restore your device, you will lose all data in the Locked Folder.
How to hide photos on your Samsung Galaxy phone
Powered by Samsung Knox, the Secure Folder in One UI (Samsung’s Android skin) does the job of securing your private photos and videos.
- Slide down from the top and open the notification center.
- Slide down again and expand the quick rockers menu.
- Enable the Secure Directory toggle and find it in the application menu.
- If you do not see the Secure Folder in the quick toggle menu, click the three-point menu at the top.
- Select the Edit buttonsand drag the Secure Folder icon (from suggestions) to the quick menu.
How to set up a Secure Folder
- Swipe up from the home screen and open the app drawer menu.
- Find out Secure Folder (which looks like a lock icon) and open it.
- Customize it with a 4-digit PIN.
- Close the Secure Folder and open the Gallery app on your Samsung phone.
Here it is. Now you can start adding media to your Secure Folder.
How to hide photos in the Secure Folder
- Find the Gallery app on your phone’s home screen or in the app’s pull-down menu (represented by a flower icon).
- Select multiple images and click More below.
- Choose Move to Secure Folder, and your photos will disappear from the Gallery app.
When you want to access any of your hidden media, you can open the Secure Folder from the app’s inbox menu, authenticate with a PIN (the one you created during setup), and select the Gallery app.
How to hide photos on iPhone
The default Photo app on iPhone and iPad allows users to protect sensitive media files in a hidden album.
- Open the Photos application on your iPhone.
- Hit it Select a button above and select the photos and videos you want to hide.
- Click the share icon in the lower left corner and select Hide.
That’s really all there is to it. It’s also easy to find your hidden media.
How to access hidden media on your iPhone
To check the hidden album, you must first enable it from Photos settings.
- Open up Settings using the tool icon on your iPhone.
- Rulumu al Photos.
- Enable Hidden Album scales.
- Open the Photos app and go to Albums menu.
- Scroll down to the Utilities menu and open Hidden album to check sensitive media files.
Keep curious eyes away from private photos
Although the Google Play Store and App Store are full of third-party photo hiding programs, we suggest sticking to the default method. It’s a bit risky to trust any random app with your private media. If you prefer Google’s Secure Folder, you can also use it to securely hide documents as well as pictures and videos. If you find yourself without space, you can always consider moving your photos to Synology NAS. Although not a complete replacement for Google Photos, it can help if you already own a Synology NAS server.