Larmour lights up the RDS while Leinster baton 12 tries Glasgow to book URC semi-final spot

Leinster 76

Glasgow Warriors 14

FOR EVERY 14 minutes, Glasgow threatened to make this United Rugby Championship quarter-final interesting.

After a strong start the visitors led Leinster 7-0, Zander Fagerson crossing for a try which was only a reward for their early dominance. They couldn’t, could they?

It quickly became clear that there would be no trouble on the cards as Leinster stormed to a 76-14 victory that sets up a semi-final clash against the Bulls at the RDS next Friday evening.

However in those early stages, it felt very much like the morning after the night before for Leinster side, who this past week, came agonizingly close to catching a fifth European title.

Glasgow played all rugby and enjoyed the whole territory, camped inside the Leinster 22 in scenes reminiscent of those closing 10 minutes in Marseille.

Only four minutes were on the clock when Fagerson tunneled under Andrew Porter to put Glasgow ahead, an interesting turn at the start of a game that always threatened to be a tough proposition for Leinster, a crowd just north of a 9,000 disappointing turnout for a strike. -outing fixation.

The awarding of a penalty at the first melee of the day added to the early feeling of uneasiness as Leinster struggled to make ends meet in the contest.

Then just like that, the game turned upside down. During a blocked passage of play on the left side, Glasgow lock Richie Gray sent an elbow to hit Jamison Gibson-Park’s face. The opposing supporters loudly informed the referee that he was too lenient when he only showed Andrea Piardi from FC a yellow card after a mistimed challenge from behind 70 minutes into the game.

Leinster hit Glasgow for three tries while Gray watched from the sideline.

Dan Sheehan was first over the line for the hosts, empowering over from a strong driving maul on with the first pass of a game following Gray’s exit.


Jamie Bhatti of Glasgow, Caelan Doris of Leinster and Tadhg Furlong of Leinster.

Source: Laszlo Geczo / INPHO

And if that first score was about power, the second was about speed. Jordan Larmour – a man who may have been lucky to miss in Marseille last weekend – took the ball in his own half and felt a chance of a situation that few others on the pitch would have liked.

With one quick flash of those electric feet he was past three Glasgow defenders and deep in the Warriors half. The move almost broke when Larmour tried to play at Gibson Park, but the winger was able to pick up the loose ball and make sure his hard work was not wasted.

In all aspects of the play, Leinster were now completely dominant as their melee began to gain the upper hand and passes began to stick.

Just a few minutes later, 21-year-old lock Joe McCarthy was in his third, finishing from close range and receiving the rub of the green with a knocking call, the ball knocked out of his hand by a Glasgow hand. before moving forward. Ross Byrne added his third conversion of the day and Leinster were 21-7 up with 25 minutes played, one foot firmly in next weekend’s semi-final.

Gray then returned to action to restore Glasgow to their full complement but the damage was done, and Leinster continued to play with hard-working looking Warriors.

Larmour brilliantly tore Gregor Brown’s ball as the Glasgow winger thought he was finished for their second try of the afternoon before the hosts added his fourth, Sheehan power from bulldozer Leinster maul. Byrne’s conversion hit the post as Leinster came in at the break 26-7 up.


Jamie Bhatti of Glasgow, Caelan Doris of Leinster and Tadhg Furlong of Leinster.

Source: Billy Stickland / INPHO

Glasgow need an answer, but the second half proved to be urgently one-sided for what should have been a competitive final game.

It took just two minutes for Caelan Doris to enter Leinster’s fifth attempt, the number eight beating the last defender with ease after some good work from the Leinster package to create the space.

Byrne added the conversion before Leinster saw Tadhg Furlong make an early exit after receiving some treatment on the pitch.

His replacement, Michael Ala’alatoa had a try to his name with three minutes, the narrow-headed man stretching after another strong series of carries.

Larmour certainly felt a bit left out among all the close contact rugby as the winger then exploded in life again to set up a quick shot.

First he broke free and nicely teamed up with Gibson Park to send the baton half-clean through – following a good job by Frawley – before blasting the same right wing to feed Garry Ringrose, Byrne converting Gibson-Park’s score before finding the post. again following that of Ringrose.

Leinster head coach Leo Cullen then emptied his bench when Glasgow finally got another punch, Kiran McDonald producing a strong carry before finding a replacement George Horne, with Thompson converting.


Rory O’Loughlin of Leinster is treated by Jack Dempsey of Glasgow.

Source: Billy Stickland / INPHO

It was a brief spark of Glasgow life as Leinster went up the other end and sent Larmour over, the most dangerous player on the pitch finding himself in acres of space and crossing carefree, Byrne’s conversion sailing wildly wide as Leinster took 57-14 . lead into the closing 15 minutes.

The tests kept coming, Frawley grabbed a loose Ollie Smith pass to run in under the posts, giving Harry Byrne the simplest of tasks for his first conversion of the day.

Within a minute Luke McGrath was under the charge for Test No. 11 following a beautiful imitation of Harry Byrne, who added the conversion, as unfortunately a one-sided contest turned into a farce. With 10 minutes left to play, the scoreboard now reads 71-14 in Leinster’s favor, looking bad for a play-off final at this stage of the season.

With the game far beyond doubt, Leinster’s pace of work remained exceptional, with Frawley chasing Jack Dempsey as Glasgow’s back broke clear of the halfway line.


Get closer to the stories that matter through exclusive analysis, understanding, and debate in The42 Membership.

Become a Member

When it’s not your day, it’s not your day. In the far corner, the lively Jimmy O’Brien jumped in to add a 12th try for Leinster.

Leo Cullen wanted an answer, and he got it in some style. Europe may have overtaken Leinster again this season, but the charge for a fifth consecutive league title remains fully on track.

Leinster scorers:

Try – Sheehan (2), Larmour (2), McCarty, Sheehan, Ala’alatoa, Gibson-Park, Ringrose, Frawley, McGrath O’Brien.

Punishments – R Byrne [7/9]H Byrne [2/3]

Conversions – R Byrne [7/9]H Byrne [2/3]

Glasgow scorers:

Try – Fagerson

Conversion – Thompson [1/1]

LEINSTER: Jimmy O’Brien; Jordan Larmour, Garry Ringrose (Robbie Henshaw, 59), Ciarán Frawley, Rory O’Loughlin; Ross Byrne (Harry Byrne 67), Jamison Gibson-Park (Luke McGrath, 59); Andrew Porter (Cian Healy, 59), Dan Sheehan (Seán Cronin, 59), Tadhg Furlong (Michael Ala’alatoa, 44); Joe McCarthy, James Ryan (captain) (Ross Molony, 59); Ryan Baird, Josh van der Flier (Jack Conan, 60), Caelan Doris.

GLASS WARS: Ollie Smith; Josh McKay, Sione Tuipulotu, Sam Johnson, Rufus McLean; Ross Thompson (Domingo Miotti, 69), Ali Price (George Horne, 51); Jamie Bhatti (Oli Kebble, 51), George Turner (Fraser Brown 41), Zander Fagerson (Simon Berghan, 51); Rob Harley (Lewis Bean 55), Richie Gray; Ryan Wilson (captain) (Kiran McDonald 55), Gregor Brown, Jack Dempsey.

Referee: Andrea Piardi (START)

Get instant updates for your province The42-apo. With Laya Healthcareofficial health and wellness partner to Leinster, Munster and Connacht Rugby.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.